· 1 2/3 lbs tomatoes, chopped
· 1 stalk of celery, chopped
· 1 carrot, chopped. I didn’t have any celery, so I went with two carrots instead.
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 1 clove of garlic, minced
· 5 tbsp of olive oil
· Fresh basil (chopped), or other dried Italian seasoning
· Salt & pepper to taste
Add all of the above to a big skillet. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Dump it in a food processor or blender & puree. Taste & add additional seasoning (salt and pepper, basil, garlic, etc) to get the flavor right. Then simmer again for 15-20 minutes.
The key with this one is after the sauce is ready & the pasta is cooked (we used penne), toss the two to coat. The noodles really absorb the sauce. I topped with grated fresh parmesan & basil. It was fabulous. You can freeze the remaining sauce. We had 3 main dish servings last night, & froze about half, so I'm guessing it make six generous main dish servings.