Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Final harvest?

Each week, I am convinced that I've harvested as much of the garden as I possibly can, but I've been surprised. This week I picked more tomatoes & have been making Greek salad every night, to use up tomatoes & basil. Tonight I made a Simple Bolognese recipe to use up more tomatoes & basil, & it was fabulous. Because I was using fresh tomatoes, I made a few modifications - I added tomato paste, & wine, & used 1.5 lbs of fresh tomatoes. I cooked it a bit longer than the original recipe called for, in order to get the right texture, but it was wonderful.

I still have quite a few tomatoes that I'm hoping will ripen, & tons of jalapenos & peppers. I'm thinking of making salsa this week.

If I am feeling adventurous, I might try this green tomato cake. :-)

Here's a picture of the basil I picked today. This stuff is taking over my garden, so I should make more pesto this weekend.



For lots of great garden posts, check out An Oregon Cottage.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed- my tomatoes are looking really sad and if I were to use them I'd have to cut off a lot. But I am tempted by that Bolognese sauce. :-)

    Thanks for sharing with the Garden Party. For fall and winter, you can link up seasonal recipes, garden themed gifts, decorating and such. I'm going to have a list of Winter link-up themes tomorrow at the Tuesday Garden Party, so check in and plan your posts!

    ReplyDelete